Sunday 4 May 2014

Craft - pressed flower ornament

This is a quick how-to for something which I've had for a really long time and have taken all over the place with me. It's really easy and also makes a really nice gift.


What you'll need:

  • Flowers - freshly picked and cut to the right size
  • Flower press (or heavy books and plain paper)
  • Photo frame - I used this one from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00075689/) 
Step 1. Choose and pick your flowers. My sister and I picked these flowers on the day my grandfather died and decided to press them as a way of commemorating him (he was Welsh, so thus the daffodils!)


Step 2. Press your flowers. If you have a flower press, you just need to slip them in between the layers of sheets, tighten the screws and wait for about a week. If not, just put your flowers between two pieces of clean plain paper (ideally some sort of blotting paper) and place between the pages of a heavy book. The more you weight it down, the better it will work.

Step 3. Put them in your frame. I loved this frame from Ikea because it displays the flowers but also works as a paper weight and is completely free-standing. I wanted the blooms to reflect the heart shape of the frame, so I chose two flowers which looked symmetrical and arranged them accordingly.


Try not to keep your pressed flowers in direct sunlight as they'll start to fade, which would be a shame! Otherwise they can last for years, like mine have. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment